Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hiphopstramentals....Flying Lotus. J Rocc and Madlib.












It's been a while since I've really been feeling a hip hop instrumental album. A sub genre I once held very near to my heart (Deadringer, One Word Extinguisher, Donuts, Shades Of Blue and of course Endtroducing)
So when I stumbled upon Flying Lotus's Los Angeles a while back,I approached with a whole gang of skepticism. Let's be honest, albums of this sort can get downright tiresome at times. Fortunately I gave this one a few listens before i tossed it in the Boring-Ass-Redundant-Ass pile. Picture Prefuse 73 (minus the glitchiness) meets the best instrumental work by J Dilla and Madlib and you'll be pretty close to the sometimes ethereal, yet always bangin' sounds of Mr.Lotus. The album pretty much knocks from start to finish but here is one of my standouts called "Breathe. Something/Stellar STar" a track reminiscent of warped labelmate Prefuse 73's work on One Word Extinguisher.

Flying Lotus - Breathe. Something/Stellar STar













In other bangin' instrumental news, Madlib and J Rocc have just digitally released an album called Beat Konducta 5: Dil Cosby Suite, a dedication to J Dilla. Madlib making beats inspired by Dilla? How could this not be good?

Buy It via the Stones Throw Store

No comments: